SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

There's a Jew in the Church

I know, it's been a very long time. This goes back to the fact that when I have things to really write about, I don't have time to write about them. Which, on a slow night like this, means there's nothing going on so I might as well write...

So the Cathedral. Every time I tell anyone I know that I'm working at the Cathedral, I usually get a wide-eyed stare or some laughs, and I agree it is kind of funny. What I love is when a Jew wanders into the Cathedral, sometimes even an Orthodox couple on Shabbat comes in because it's free, or an Israeli backpacker, and we get into a conversation and I throw in some Hebrew and my name. I'm always asked "Why are you working here?" I'll often respond with "The synagogues aren't hiring" or "Affirmative action" but the truth is it's a great position for me. I get to work within museum education, doing both the background stuff as well as the front and center facilitating, and I do it within a socially conscious and community oriented space. And I'm constantly learning, albeit usually concerning Christianity, but also I make new interfaith connections all the time and I think even by being there I'm helping to put the Cathedral's mission into action.

That's not to say that there aren't the odd moments, or the ones I just find funny. During one liturgical event an older clergy man walked past me with a huge cross, and I just had to say, "That's quite a cross to bear." I did not get a laugh. I had to sit through a Safe Church meeting and learn how not to molest children which included three (count them THREE) prayer breaks during which I left the room. I also get the same question "Why are you working here?" from church members and it sound a bit more like I'm breaking into their bank. At one meeting I introduced myself and a woman said "Well, I've never met an Israeli Christian before," and I had to say, "You still haven't, I'm not Israeli or Christian," which burst her bubble I think. And because the Cathedral is a church, we get a lot of homeless people or people with general mental difficulties coming in, which is rarely a problem. Today I was having a conversation with one such lady, a regular, when she fell asleep, standing up next to me. I guess I've lost my touch.

There are a lot of great events that I'm enjoying at the Cathedral as well, and I especially enjoy them if I'm not working them. For St. Francis Day I was able to sit through the service, sitting just in front of the large dogs section. The music for the service included whale noises, which drove the dogs crazy, and it was like being in a zoo at feeding time. I really loved Halloween, when the Cathedral showed Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Opera complete with organ accompaniment (sometimes hammed up). Then there was the Procession of the Ghouls which came out, looking like characters from Pan's Labyrinth which is truly frightening. There was an after party for 20- and 30-somethings afterwards with incredible food and drinks, and I won the raffle, though I'm still not sure what I won, I should pick whatever it is up tomorrow.

And I'm really enjoying the people in my life. Everyone at work is great and they each come from such interesting backgrounds. I especially enjoy my co-worker B, who works both the office and the upstairs with me and who helps me out in every way. I'm also so glad to have my NY friends, of course Anmol, but also my T-baum ladies, I got quite a neighborhood turn-out for the debates and election at our neighborhood bar, and now I breakfast with Will every Wednesday. I'm also seeing a really sweet guy, and I guess you can blame the Cathedral because he is far, far from Jewish. I'm really enjoying our time together; we've seen some good and bad movies, I've introduced him to hummus (which he loves) and he introduced me to mofongo (which I love) and I we're going to continue sharing our cultures with each other. Already my Spanish is improving muy rapido.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home