SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Krappy Karma

A few years back I spent the summer of 2004 in Jerusalem. At the time I was interning with Yad b'Yad Center for Jewish Arab Education and the West Jerusalem YMCA in their kindergarten. I didn't have any friends living there at the time and I ended up arranging to live in a room of a three bedroom apartment with two other young women. To sum it all up nicely, I didn't care living with the girls. One, specifically, who we shall refer to as R was actually proud of seeming unapproachable and rude. They brought their own friends over and invaded my privacy, but treated my friends so badly that they began refusing to come over. When I left Israel, it ended badly. The only good part about them is that through their friend Weiner who stayed over (and who I hung out with because they abandoned her) I met Kareem.

At any rate, both girls were complete history to me, until...
Last Sunday, while eating bagels with my friends, R. walked past me and into the restaurant. I know I saw her, and acted as though I hadn't, and I'm not sure if she saw me, but if she did she acted as though she hadn't. So awkward, but I figured, it is the Upper West Side, Jews are around here. I couldn't remember if she was from NY, but it's easy enough to just pass someone by, especially if they are also willing to ignore you. But today, on my way back from classes, she was sitting across the street from my dorm in front of another education school's dorm. OH DEAR GOD, PLEASE DON'T LET HER BE LIVING HERE! What did I do to deserve her presence once again in my life?

Of course I believe in karma, in a weak way. When it gets close to tests I'm definitely nicer than usual. I tend to counter really evil thoughts about someone with penance and promises to work harder on those same aspects in myself. So I'll have to dig deep and figure out how to fix this!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

As a native New Yorker (or at least a native Tri-Stater), let me just say that the uncomfortable run-in is just a sad fact of life. You'd think in a city as big as ours you'd be able to avoid the losers and jerks of your past, but somehow, they always seem to pop up.

In such instances, you just need to laugh at them and move on.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home