SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Nightmare, darn you midterms

I had the most awful nightmare last night, obviously stress induced. I've finished my two smaller papers, and now I need to do my big one, so I'm watching lots of television. But, back to the nightmare...

Have you seen Silence of the Lambs? I think I was Clarice, not being a great detective or tracking anyone down, but I'm fairly sure I was her and I definitely had her hair. So the parts I remember are sort of mid-way through it all; I'm being held hostage in some sort of underground dungeon along with a lot of other women and I know we are being held by the maniac killer who has already killed all our husbands and children, and I'm very aware that he has already killed my own husband and kids. And he's going to murder all of us in terrible ways, I know that too. I only remember one method, but involved sticking a pin in a woman's stomach and allowing it to get infected. Sounds silly, but it was really frightening. At one point, he has us all write our goodbye notes, and I realize that I'm writing on top of my husband's goodbye note, and I am so angry that my husband was in this same position that I am now and that I have no hope and that the murderer is just playing with me. I feel like I need to escape, I know I'll die anyway and that I might as well die trying to be free, but I'm just too scared to even try to run. All of the women are. And then I consider, if I get the chance to escape, will I tell the other women, or just take it myself. Trying to stampede 30 women out a little door seemed unlikely. I also thought about trying to become his favorite, the most reasonable and cooperative to live longer, but I knew it wouldn't make a difference in the end.

At some point I'm away from the other women. And then there are two of me, and I'm both of them simultaneously. Both of me search for a weapon to attack him with, I finally feel ready to go on the offensive. All I can find are two wooden hangars with metal hooks, and both of me grab one, and at the same time I'm thinking that if I am going to kill a man with this hangar, it's going to be really gross and gorey. Both of me sneak around his house, and I find him under his couch, like with his legs sticking out like he's under a car fixing something. And just when I decide to attack him, I can't find the other me, I'm pretty sure I'm checking out another room. So I have to go it alone. When I pull him out form under the couch, he has the same kind of hangar in his hands!

And that's when I wake up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home