SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Birthday a Month away

When Liat told me she was sending me something in the mail, I was nervous. This is Liat of http://www.thecuntshop.com/. I asked that whatever she sent would be wrapped in plain paper packaging. Despite my rudeness, she went ahead and sent me a very sweet small envelope (too small for a vagina pillow). I was shocked to find inside pictures from EIE, my high school in Israel experience. I'm transported back to my 17th birthday, my incredibly short stint in the Israeli army, the lake Kinneret party boat, the halls of Beit Shmuel, the kibbutz and hikes. The people.

Facing my 23rd birthday, I'm wishing I was 17 again.

Back then, when I pictured being 23, I probably saw myself living in Israel, married with at least one kid, working on a date-palm kibbutz or running a co-op school. Something ridiculous like that. I didn't imagine I would have graduated from OSU and moved on to TC for my masters. Maybe I'd be impressed with myself for finding a "peace ed" department. I would definitely be excited about all the travelling I've done in the past 6 years. I would be upset that I haven't kept up those EIE relationships. 6 years! I say that and even with everything I just wrote I wonder what I've been doing with myself.

And where do I see myself in 6 years (29)? Living in Israel (half the year), married, with at least 3 kids, definitely not working on a kibbutz but perhaps in a peace school. Something ridiculous like that. Will I sit back at 29 and feel like I do now? God birthdays are depressing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Random said...

Oh no,
I hear you! I hear you! My challenge is always wait, I'm going to be how old and what have I accomplished? What is the point of it all if I'm not doing something worthwhile, and if as is the case right now I signed up to do something worthwhile but don't feel like I am what does that mean. You're perfectly right, birthdays suck, except that they mean we've kept growing, hopefully done some fun, exciting things, and most importantly when someone feeds us desserts for our birthdays...

So here's to 23--let's hope that no matter how ridiculous you think your dreams are 1. they come true and 2. you get more than you want or better than it.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

So 23 has got you down? Try 30 or 31, which is my fate two and a half months from now. 23 is actually a fantastic age to be, and you have already seen and done so much at this young age.

So buck up, dear Kinneret. The world and your wonderful life lay ahead of you.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home