SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Friday, February 01, 2008

Shmagooed

As you may remember, I am sick. I'm past the high fever & throwing up stage (Tuesday), and am now settling into the throaty-cough and tired recovery period. There is only one place I want to be, my bed, and that is the only place I can't be. I was kicked out of my apartment for the day. Truly.

On top of everything going on, my apartment is being painted. Well, at least that's what we've all agreed to pretend that's the case. Between staying at my sister's and moving to my mom's hotel, I saw the flier on my door which said my apartment would be painted on Thursday. So when I came back home last night, I was a bit surprised to see the paint still peeling everywhere it usually is. I couldn't rely on the smell of paint, since my nose is completely stuffed up, and I had actually counted on the fumes to help me get a full night of sleep. But no, they hadn't painted at all. And so this morning, I was told at 9:30 I had 10 minutes to clear my things for the day.

I asked the man exactly what they were painting. He said the bathrooms, and then he directed me to follow him into mine. He pointed out the mold, which I have noticed before and asked to get cleaned. He said it was attacking every bathroom in the building and it was "dangerous" and so they were coming in and taking care of it while "painting." So I'm pretty sure the painting is a ruse so that we don't sue the IHouse over the viruses we're all being killed by which were caused by spores of toxic bath mold.

So, I have set up residence for the day in the Main Lounge. I am sitting on one of the long, floral couches with my feet up on the marble table. My medicine is all set up on the table, complete with thermometer and juice. I have my computer volume all the way up (I forgot headphones in my hasty retreat) so that I can listen to "This American Life" which I am ever more in love with. I hold short little conversations with anyone who happens to pass my way, and give dirty looks to anyone who is so rude as to talk on the phone in "my" room. I have a beautiful view of Sakura Park being pummeled by rain.

I think it will be a long day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home