SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Snow Day

I woke up this morning and looked out my window to see perfect white. The cars, streets, trees, park, everything white and the snow was still coming down. I walked out of IHouse and Claremont, usually a street full of speeding cars, was silent with only a few cars barely going over 10 mph as they maneuvered the unshoveled streets. It could have been Main St. in some Midwestern town. Once I turned the corner and onto Broadway the snow turned to brown slush. When I reached the outdoor subway platform the snow was blue, thanks to the colored salt.

As I walked the slushy, slippery streets of Manhattan and watched other people waddling akwardly, I felt something lift in the city. People were friendlier. A woman near my reached down and made a little snowball, just to drop it and watch its indentation in the snow. One man seemed to be jumping from puddle to puddle, though I have to believe he was trying to miss them. I found myself able to smile at and with people as I slid around. I have never seen larger snowflakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home