SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Kathleen and Kendal's Wedding

My pictures came out pretty bad, so I will include more of Kathleen and Kendal and the actual wedding when appropriate photos can be found.

I remember meeting Kathleen Royston the first day of school after I moved to Highland Park. It was fifth grade, and she was wearing a floral print dress, her hair was in long blonde braids and she had a straw hat and red glasses. I liked her immediatly. She's grown up a lot since then, and we were close through middle school and high school. We haven't really spoken in 4 years; her parents moved to Florida right after graduation and I was always traveling on breaks. So I was thrilled to be invited to her wedding (admittedly, i begged her) and it was such a pleasure to be there.

Pictured: Becky, Me and Jessica in Seaside

When I arrived the night before the wedding and met up with Jessica Offenbach and her family, we headed over to the Royston's home where the bridesmaid activities were slowing down after the rehearsal dinner. All the girls were in the hot tub, and of course I forgot to bring my bathing suit to Florida, but I joined them anyway. All the bridesmaids were Emilys or Kates, and though I can't really tell them apart, they were very nice. Becky Swartz was also there, and this wedding was like a mini reunion for us.

The next day festivities began! The Royston's had rented out a house for the wedding meals with a big tent out front. There was a brunch that all the girls had to sit through with their hair done up. It was the first time I met Kendal, and I truly wondered if his deep voice and Southern accent weren't put on. That is, until I met the rest of their families and realized this was either a huge hoax, or these people really do say Ma'am and offer sweet tea. Kendal was a true gentleman, and an attractive one at that, and you can easily see that he and Kathleen are in love. His mother was also a treat, a truly nice lady who went out of her way to make me and the other Highland Parkers feel welcome. And of course it was wonderful to see Kay and Rick, Kathleen's parents, who look better than ever now that they're living the life of beaches and boats, and church dinners. To understand how perfect and intimate and special each of the wedding events were, you have to know they were arranged by Kay, who is one of the most thoughtful people alive.

In the break between brunch and the chapel service, Lee, Becky, Jessica and I walked around the town of Seaside. It was used as the idealized town in the Truman Show, and it's easy to see why. Just off the beach, it's complete with all the amenities of an old-time town around a central square. There were even children doing chalk drawings on the front sidewalks of all the stores. This also includes the white clapboard chapel where Kathleen got married. The service was simple and warm. At some points surprisingly emotional. The small chapel was full of family and friends from all over. It was clear that the Royston's make a big impact on any community they are a part of.



Rick and Kay walk down the aisle.


Kendal walks his mother down the aisle.


The reception was back at the beach house, and truly stunning. What made it so wonderful was the intimateness; even the caterers were good friends and it felt as though no one was "working" the wedding but everyone was a guest. There was excellent cajun-inspired food in honor of Kathleen's Louisiana roots and a great deal of Southern charm such as very fancy grits, with touches of Mexico in margaritas and burritos. There was a bride's and groom's cakes as well (the groom's was an ode to Alabama and "Rolling Tide!" was yelled out more often then cheers to the newlyweds).
The whole thing was stunning. Makes me want to get married immediatly, and many times. I also wish I was the sort of person to have a beach wedding, but since I have a general aversion to sand and no history of travel to florida, it seems that I'll have to settle for something more inland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home