SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Decisions Made Well (and by me!)

I wonder sometimes about the choices I make. It can be very nice to be vindicated, even if not directly.

There are time when I am not in love with TC. In fact, I can't really think of anyone in my cohort who does. But, that doesn't mean that under all the rhetoric, terminology, and theory that I'm not learning something. I am, even if it sneaks up on me. So it's nice that TC is thought of so highly by others. If nothing else, I hope it ensures me a great job or two in the future! TC We're Number One!

I also recently read through Time Magazine on my way back from Detroit for Pesach. I was happy to see that although I am not the "greenest" or most earthy person, I'm not the worst of the greedy SUV oil-consuming polluters either. It's times like these I guess I should reevaluate my choice not to be a vegan, or a freegan. In Time they had "51 Things You Can Do To Make A Difference," and I found some of their ideas familiar. Mostly due to the fact that I'm living in NY:
Ditch the Mansion: My studio is certainly no mansion, and so it conserves a lot of energy. It probably also helps that I don't know how to cook. There was also a suggestion to do the laundry less, and I let my laundry build up beyond reason, so I'm good on that count too!
Work Close to Home: Though two times a week I do go downtown for my internship, most days I'm lucky to leave my apartment, much less my neighborhood. My main place of work, TC, is just 3 blocks away!
Ride the Bus: I don't really ride the bus, but I do take the train if I'm going pretty much anywhere. It's mass carpooling with some of the craziest, dirtiest people on earth!
Move to a High Rise: Ok, I-House is no High Rise, but it is a large dorm, and this relates right back to not having a mansion!
Wear Green Eyeshadow: I in fact own green eyeshadow, this is a trend I am prepared to embrace!
In the future, I am also open to making changes to be a better consumer and be aware of my own carbon footprint. If ever I make enough money, I would love to take Time up on their idea of Moving to London's Carbon-Free Zone, but that seems a long way off.

1 Comments:

Blogger TNL said...

Hey, so funny. I have a green eyeshadow too occasionally and I attribute this to funky NYC. I'm glad that you do too :) Also, hate to say it, but my TC enthusiasm has worn off since we met for mid-fall coffee at Cafe Fresh, but I hope it is renewed because upcoming finals are giving me an ulcer.

- TC Tanya

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home