SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Kids Say the Darndest Things...

I have heard such ridiculously cute and funny, and sometimes strange, comments from the kids I've been working with that I feel a really need to keep a list of the creme de la creme. I'll try to keep this updated!

During Tutoring
J: Did you hear Sasha Baron Cohen was killed?
Me: Wow, I hadn't heard that.
J: Yeah he was killed in Russia. Someone threw a nuclear weapon at him.
Me: Uh... do you know how many people a nuclear weapon kills?
J: No
Me: Lots, and it's so big you can't throw it at someone, it has to be dropped from a plane
J: .......................... Maybe he was shot with a gun.

At the NY Tolerance Center
The kids have just seen a video called "The Power of Words" with famous politicians making speeches. The speeches range from FDR and "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" to Hitler and Stalin and into the present with French right-wing Le Pen (pictured) and KKK members. After the film, the educator asked if the kids recognized anyone....
12 year old girl: That French guy, wasn't he Napoleon?
At the American Folk Art Museum
10 y.o. girl looking at the Golden Tower: If skyscrapers were alive, this would be there skeleton
Crazy 10 y.o. girl at the Freedom Quilt: It says "freedom" 7 times, and 7 times 7 is 49 and that's almost the number of states in the US, if you don't count Hawaii and Hawaii was bombed, like during Pearl Harbor, by the Japanese and then the US got involved in World War II. So that's what it makes me think about
Same crazy girl at the Garges Quilt looking at flower motif: I think that's the sun of heaven and the other is the sun of hell (all the kids gasp, because she used a bad word)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home