SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

NY Dreams and Nightmares

Last night I dreamt that a professor of mine was giving lessons on ice fishing. She was standing in front of a pool of icey water with floating blocks of varying densities of cork and styrofoam and standing on each, getting her feet wet sometimes up to her ankles as she did her scientific research. My brother showed up with my cousin Michael Wallace, which is odd since we haven't really seen Michael in at least 5 years and to my knowledge they don't really talk. But my brother said he was having a party (his birthday?) and wanted me to come. Just then I ran into Brian and we started having an argument; I wanted him to come with me to the party but he was angry I didn't want to go sky diving, the dialogue was actually pretty real. I'm fairly sure I was winning the dispute when my alarm woke me up.

Then the nightmares began. I took the 1 train to work and was hoping to make good time so I could get a coffee before getting into work. There was some sort of a problem and the ride which usually takes 30 minutes lasted about 75 minutes. It was such a hassle as the express trains kept passing us by and we were stuck in the 50s.

The area I work in isn't very industrial, but there are a few trucks around usually with workers unloading stuff. It's usually not a problem and I might get a few smiles or nods, but it's all very social. Today a man told me he could "F*** me like a bear." He then reiterated, in English and Spanish, "Oso, a bear I would be like, oso!" While as an educator I always appreciate learning new words and I am reading a book on bilingualism, I was simply not impressed. After all, the book I'm reading is "Con Respecto" and is about respecting people's of different culture through language, and in neither language was his message respectful.

After work and a little nap, I went to class at TC. On my way into the building a woman came running at me with a stroller. Due to the wall and car on either side of me, I had nowhere to go and stood still as the stroller came at me. At the last moment the woman let go of the stroller and ran to the side where she grabbed her toddler (who I hadn't seen at that point) who was running towards the cars. I grabbed at the stroller and stopped it just before it hit the wall. A lot of drama for TC and it got a few onlookers to stop in shock. Meanwhile, no thank you from the mother who's baby I saved. But that's NY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home