SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

JDate: it has come to this

I'm just going to put it out there, because I'm not ashamed, I have recently joined JDate.
Oh yes, yes I have. After much prompting by friends, sister, at one point even a current boyfriend, I have decided to give the modern yenta a chance with my love life. What is JDate, my sweet little non-Jews ask. It's an online dating service for Jews, especially popular in NY, that allows Jewish eyes to oggle your pictures and profile and then begin online chats or flirtatious emailing which should eventually lead to dates, and for those lucky few like Shira and Mike, marriage.

Creating the profile was fun. Who am I indeed... I've learned from previous JDate users that pictures are important, so I had a vote by my closest friends and got what I think are some good results. Then writing about myself, not easily done. So far I'm meeting an interesting range of people, though it is often more sketchy than not.

Sweetest: Had a really decent talk with one guy that ended with his saying "Lilah motek," see that's classy.

Most Sketchy: Guy from Minneapolis said he'd move to NY for me, this is before he asked my name. He asked if I liked to travel, I said yes, he said he liked to have sex on planes. Eeeeeeew.

Most Brazen: A really great seeming guy asked what I was looking for (several people had already asked, because they are looking for marriage) and I said I was open to friendship or dating. I asked what he was looking for he said "Sex and a girlfriend" in that order. The conversation ended shortly after.

I ask you, where's the romance? Where's the dating? Where's even the coffee? What happened to getting to know someone, walks in the park, a long engagement? Even Israelis, by definition pretty darned sketchy, invite you for coffee (though at BGU we learned it meant something else).

I will keep you updated with the funnier/ scarier/ sweeter stories as they come up...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home