SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Neighbors

I HATE THEM

I hate my neighbors.

I don't know their names, and what I usually call them in my head is not printable, so I will entitle them: Obnoxious and Noisy.

Obnoxious and Noisy seem to believe that we are not in the USA but in their native India, because they are on Indian time and make a ton of noise between the hours of 1 and 5 am. Sometimes it's just a good old fashioned marital disagreement that goes deep into the night. Twice it's been their toilet breaking at 3 in the morning which they seem to think they can fix by opening and closing all their doors and yelling. Usually it's television and loud laughter. Tonight it's a guest who arrived at 1:30 am, a smelly curry they've cooked up using every pot they own and which they have continuously dropped, and the television in the background as they carry on a conversation which seems to revolve around the husband and male guest comparing their Yahoo commercial yodels. I haven't been able to sleep through the night for the past three nights.

And don't think I haven't tried to quiet them. Early on I went over to their apartment and knocked on the door so they would see I wasn't threatening and just very tired. They responded to my knocks by turning their television waaaay up, and then when I didn't go away they turned it off and tried to pretend they weren't there. So, I have resorted to knocking on the wall and pleading "Please be quiet" which only eggs them on.

But tonight, tonight it all changes! Oh yes, I emailed my RA. This will probably do nothing, but it takes the edge off my anger. I will also bitch and moan to you. I hate being passive aggressive.
In 15 minutes it will be 3 am. If they are still noisy I am going over and knocking on the door. Oh yes I am. Grrrrrrrr

P.S.
So roughly 10 minutes later they became extraordinarily loud, and I made my move, which is hard for me. Anyway I went over and knocked and when the wife came to the door I was hardcore "are you aware of the quiet hours?" and "you are begging for an RAing" and she was saying "So sorry, our cousin is staying with us, we're planning a Nepalese party... won't happen again" So firstly, I apologize for saying they were Indian, that was ignorant of me. Secondly, I am going to this Nepalese party you had best believe. Thirdly, I just emailed my RA again to tell him nevermind. And Fourthly, now I can't sleep because of my adrenaline rush from my confrontation. I feel faint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home