SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Hannukah Hootenanny!

Before we get to the big party, I had a much smaller affair the other night when Micha came by! He and I went to high school in Israel together (EIE) and last I saw him was over a year ago before heading to Israel again. He's looking at medical schools and doing very well for himself, though he doesn't like NY and is strangely in love with Cleveland. We were able to gossip about the few people we're still in touch with (Ariel is married, David's in community college, Radparvar is in the mafia, Daniel is out in LA...), very exciting stuff. (Pictured: Miiiiiicha)

Friday night there was a Francophone Cultural Hour. There were cheeses, and breads, and meats, and crepes. After milling about using our best French aaaaah-cents, there was a cabaret of music, dance, and film from around the French speaking world. It was great, a mix of salon and comedy hour.

So, very last minute, I threw together a Hannukah party which was more or less an excuse to get friends together before the month long break begins. I had gone out earlier with Paul and Honza and picked up three dozen donuts, and Honza got some drinks. Everyone gathered in my room, and it was noticeably German-heavy. In fact, for the majority of the party, I was the only Jew plus a half- who came and left early, and a full- who came and left late. Otherwise there was a great mix. We started off by "lighting" my magnetic menorah and saying the three blessings. Then we gambled the night away. I was nervous dreidle wouldn't be exciting, but people got really into it, and after a few times around I was no longer needed as referee and everyone could tell the nun from the gimmel. Sweet success. (Pictures: Magnetic Menorah)

Marie, Jared, Suzannah, Paul

Imre, Honza, Me, Jochen

Me and Michael

Sandra, Jochen, Michael, Mara

There were others there, but this is a random sampling!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home