SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Sleigh bells ringing...

December already. To get into the spirit I suggest a cinnamon mocha at Starbucks (or your preferred mom & pop). If you're over 21, a shot of Czech Becherovka would do twice as well, but it's expensive I hear, even more than a venti latte with two shots of syrup.

This past week has been just this side of insane. After three nights of no sleep, things finally picked up. First there was a North building party. It was for Beer and Dessert and attracted a failr large crowd, babies too. It was fun to hang out with Melissa and my RA David, who I had recently sent several nagging letters about my neighbors.

Next I headed to an I-House cultural hour (last one was America, see previous post) in this one we toured Nepal's taxi drivers, climbed Mount Everest with a yettie, and chatted with monks in Tibet. And there was a yak dance, not to be missed. The food they served was good, but spicy beyond belief. If not for the 4 cups of chai I would not have made it. Afterwards, Honza, Michael (new German friend) and Suzanna sat around chatting about academia.

Pictured: Honza and Me after being welcomed-Nepal-style


Then things got serious. I haven't left my building since Thursday, my room since Friday. Finals.
* Middle East: 1 big paper, 1 small paper, 1 short presentation
* Peace Ed: 1 big paper
* Econ: 1 exam
* Family as Educators: 1 big paper, 1 big presentation
GAH. Well, the big Middle East paper is done at any rate, and with rave reviews (from my mom and dad, but I take what I can get). Now I'm trying to figure out how to climb the Ladder of Abstraction for Family as Ed...

Tonight I went next door for some late-night tea to my neighbor (the quite one) Susan. She invited over another friend, Julia (German) and we had a really surprisingly long evening. We did comparative genocide (Holocaust vs. Rwanda), comparative films on terrorism (Munich vs. Paradise Now), comparative bosses (unorganized vs. forced role-play). It sounds heavy, but it was a good time.

Today was also highly productive. I woke up early to schedule my classes for next semester!
Courses I've Scheduled:
Issues &Institutions-International Education Development
Education in Emergencies
Multicultural Approaches for Teaching Young Children
Human and Social Dimensions of Peace


Courses I'm Still Considering: (all are short-term weekend courses)
Practicum on Conflict Resolution
Peace Operation, Trusteeship,OCC Regimes
Development & Conflict Prevention:Critical conscience

And I'm looking at internships within either Middle East conflict resolution or peace education in NY (there's plenty of conflict here, believe me).

I am so ready for Winter Break, especially now that I've got my heater working. I plan on staying in NY the entire time. After all, everyone else pays to come to NY over break, why would I pay to leave? I'm hoping for some quality time with friends visiting and Brittany and I are going to be super-tourists and see this place we've been living in for 4 months.

Pictured: the yak dance

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home