SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Interviews

With the spring coming to an end and summer just around the corner, I've got the future and jobs and money on my mind.

I've been applying for a lot of different opportunities. The ones I had hoped would be a shoe-in have turned out to be awkwardly hard, and those I was sweating seem just too easy.

I've applied for three fellowships at I-House. The one I most want is Summer Fellow, which if I got would mean I would help plan and implement summer programming for the few residents still around. I think it's a great opportunity to connect with people, enjoy NY, and hopefully I'd get to choose the flavors for the ice cream socials every Thursday. I also applied for Sunday Supper Fellow, which it turns out conflicts with my sister's wedding, so that one is out the window, no big deal. Then there's Resident Fellow, which is like a college RA (Resident Advisor) but I pretty much bombed the role-play. It would be a cool opportunity; use my multicultural class activities as programming tools, help bring in food and beer once a month for residents, act as an official greeter and not just an overly friendly person, and I could yell at people about their noise level and blame it on their other neighbors. It could have been so perfect.

* In the following paragraph the names of NGOs have been changed to prevent future bosses from googling this and potentially not hiring me due to my flippant remarks *

I have also applied for and had interviews with two NGOs that work in the education field promoting tolerance and values. The first is the Xxxxxxxxx Xxxxxx xxx Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Xxxxxxxx, a renowned organization in which I would do quite a bit of office work and some field evaluation. The pay is meh but it could be a great opportunity and they've insinuated that if I got the internship they would want to keep me on in the future. The other is Xxxxxxxxxxxx xxx Xxxx, which I was really excited about, until I realized they were founded by Kabbalah. I'm not talking 15th century spiritual Judaism stemming from the Zohar. No, I'm talking modern day pyramid scheme run by Mr.Berg and his good friend Madonna. During the interview I was actually asked about my "spiritual affiliation" and told that I could receive the curriculum before training so that I could "Buy into it and apply it to my own life." Still, I like the idea of their education program and it would be me running around NY to at-risk communities working directly with kids, and there's potential for them to send me to Israel. The pay is even better that Xxxxxxxxx (first org mentioned) and the work much more flexible. Moooo. I just got such a cute haircut, I'm not ready to shave my head and wear orange robes.

Lucky for me I don't have to make decisions until they do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home