SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Shira's Shower

This weekend was the long awaited, much labored over, wedding shower/ bachelorette party extravaganza!

It all began on Thursday when my parents came in. My Daddio, Shira, Mike and I met for dinner down by work while my mom rested up in the hotel. The next step was Mike getting kicked out of the apartment for the weekend and Shira's friends slowly arriving Friday. I had the pleasure of lunch with my parents while the girls figured out sleeping arrangements for the night. That night, we ordered in Chinese and played trivial pursuit.

Saturday morning marked the Wedding Shower. This was put together mainly by Shira's third-cousin Amy (I don't really consider people I've only met since I was 20 family, but Shira and her are very close). She had chosen Shira's favorite little restaurants, Alice's Tea Cup, which caters to groups of women and celebrations. She had also put together the theme of "America's Next Top Bridal Shower" with posters from the model show with Shira's head added, purples and silver balloons (the wedding colors) and tons of little goodies. It was complete with Tyra-Mail (wittily written by myself) which directed Shira to have each of her guests introduce themselves and how they met her as well as answer a series of fashion related questions. Our gifts feel into 3 categories; tea cups, practical, and funny accessories. Shira was covered in purple sunglasses, boas and more in no time, but by far the best of the funny gifts was Bedazzled tool belt filled with inside-joke memorabilia from Ashleigh and Leigh (two friends from OSU). There was a ridiculous amount of delicious food; scones (including Mexican chocolate, my favorite!), finger sandwiches, and desserts. And of course, tons of tea. It was really beautifully done and just the way Shira would have wanted it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home