SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Work and a Wedding Shower

Oh summertime, when the living is easy.

I've started my first paid internship! The pay isn't fantastic, but when you're used to working for free (or virtually free since 25 shekelim a day pretty much adds up to a fallafel and soda) it's really nice. I bought myself a month public transportation pass and got my special Empire ID so that I can do my work at the Empire State building from 9:30-5:30, 5 days a week. So far, most of the work has been pretty much "busy work" but by reading the papers I've had to copy I'm getting to know the office pretty well. The office is pretty diverse, and I'm enjoying getting to know everyone. The other night we celebrated one of the women who is leaving by going out for really bad mojitos and burritos, and I bonded a bit with the admin workers. The education team that I work on seems nice enough, and I've begun doing some research that will hopefully be incorporated into their trainings and curricula. The most straining part has been figuring out office-appropriate clothing, specifically the shoes are killing me. Damn the dress code, I'm wearing flip-flops!

Other exciting news is that I got a new shower curtain! My old one, from I-House, was plain gross and it brought me down having to look at it every morning. Now I awake to be showered surrounded by large blue and green flowers. I'm pretty happy. I've also bought a semi-scandalous dress which I wore out with two Israeli guys and Anmol to the Meat Packing district. as scandalous as I thought I was, it was nothing compared to the genuinely incredible clothing the women were wearing to party in that area. We ended up just chilling at the Brass Monkey, and although it wasn't the greatest fun ever, it was a very NY experience.

This weekend I came back to Chicago for my sister Shira's wedding shower. It was really sweet. My mom's four best friends threw it; Patty, Cathi, Laura and Nancy. It was held at a country club and was attended by my grandma, Mike's mom, and a lot of women who love my mother and adore her kids. The food was delicious and the gifts were very pretty. Mostly it was silverware and dishes, and we all screamed when my Grandma's present was opened and it was negligee (with a robe she pointed out)! It was so nice to spend a weekend at home with my family, especially my Daddio and Asher who I hardly ever see, and my grandparents. I forced Mike and Shira to watch my favorite home video, the one where Shira explains that she didn't bit me she hit me to my father (I was 2) and that when my father praises her on sharing with me she responds "Well, I didn't really want to." Oh that sass and honesty will forever live on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home