SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Lotsa Papers, Little Fun

Between the 8 papers I've been working on (1 down, 1 almost complete, 2 well into the process), I've had a teensy bit of fun.
(Since the only picture from the TC event was horrifying, I only have pictures of the Cocktail)

On Friday night TC put on a gala. I was going there in a pretty bad mood; I had been sworn at by a crazy man as I waited for my friends to join me at the corner of 125th and Broadway. Being told I'm a b**** that looks like a c*** ex-wife doesn't do much for me. I did look cute, however, as did my friends Brittany and Naaz when they eventually showed up and we headed off together. We had to cross a bridge up in 145th street. NJ looks very pretty at night, who knew? The party was at a sort of greenhouse-shaped club and the first drink was free with lots of finger foods and a strange mix of music. For a college that's 75% women, it was a pretty fun party.

I gathered up Naaz and Brittany and along with Suzana we headed back to I-House for the Indian/ Arab dance going on. It was pretty fantastic since there were actual Indians and Arabs who could really do the music justice, and pleanty of white folk like me willing to watch and learn (a little) One dance involved hoping back on forth on each foot in a forward rocking motion while pretending to screw in light bulbs with your hands and shrugging your shoulders. I did the twist instead.
Several papers later.....
Leann and Marion held another of their famous cocktail parties. I stopped in late at night with a few contributions and let the bartenders get to work. It was ncie to relax with a different group of people than I usually do, though of course some of my favorites were there too. Leann makes the most incredible food, and the others contributed with chees, bread, and famous Magnolia cupcakes. I had about three drinks and we ended the night with much needed stress relieving massages. Oh finals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home