SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Summer Loving

Summertime in New York, at least it's getting there.

Suddenly I have the urge to wear skirts and feel the need to buy cute sandals and I think I might even have a bounce in my step. I was walking to work this morning, feeling actually awake and happy to be going there. I had a smoothie from Jamba in one hand, my purse swinging in the other. On one hot street corner, the smell of rotting garbage reminded me faintly of Israel, and I missed it.

I was asked to be the Everett intern for the Tanenbaum Center (suspiciously another TC!) this summer and I accepted. It's a two month commitment, starting at the end of May, for 40 hours a week. The pay is semi-real, but it's clear the real payment will be in experience. The work will be a mix of sitting at the computer and editing curricula and developing new ones as well as out-of-the-office site visits where I'll learn how to assess educational programs. Plus, the Everett program aspect means that I will be meeting other interns around NY for interesting programming related to working at NGOs. Another bonus is that it's in the Empire State Building. Maybe I'll get a swipe card so I can breeze through security? My friend Leann also works there so I'll have a lunch buddy, which is good because I currently eat my Monday Chipotle's at my desk. Alone. It's kind of nice just to know I'm wanted, albeit for either very little money or by a cult. Still, Tanenbaum has hinted that they'd want me to stay on if the internship goes well, so that's a potential first job out of grad school.

Truly though, I'm a bit horrified to have a 9-5 job. What will happen to my summer? Will it disappear behind the walls of my cubicle? Will I get time to exercise, my pre-wedding resolution? Will I have any fun at all? At least if I am going to become a cliche can I be one of those office workers who heads straight to the bar with other people in suits and dances so strangely that I'm embarrassed to go into work the next day? Please?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home