SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

OSU: catching up with good, old friends

This Saturday I had the great pleasure of grabbing coffee and walking around with Doug! He and I were good friends freshman year of university, but we didn't see each other much over the next two years. So, after not seeing each other for at least two years, we got back in contact (bless you facebook!). He's doing great, working the business-end of Macy's and living with his sweet Ohio boyfriend down by the soup kitchens. I took him on a mini-tour of the Upper West Side and he was pretty impressed with Columbia, Tom's Restaurant, and the owl of good old Alma. Though I didn't take any pictures, I've got one from when Doug was my date back in freshman year to a dance. Excuse the drunken antics, this was taken post-party.

I also finally got it together and called my great friend Emily from OSU(not to be mistaken with Emily currently living in DC and my friend from Israel) . Emily was the very first person I met at the OSU orientation and somehow, in that vast crowd of 60,000 crazy, small-minded people we found each other. We took our ID card photos together and were greatest friends ever since. I miss her lots. She has a bunny, Charlotte, who is possessed by the devil and I brought back a exorcism kit from Israel for her. Emily is currently living, with her husband and another good friend of mine Jason, in Atlanta acting as the greatest profussionist known to man in a hospital there. She's so adult, so put together and grounded. I think she's my life-mentor.
Pictured: a bit fuzzy, but it's Emily and Jason

Earlier this week I called Erin, also a friend from OSU. She was a member of my London trio back in freshman year (including Kristina), and we bonded tightly and continued on as friends for all these years since. In fact, she and I rocked out statistics back in the day, the only math class I ever got an A in. She's also one of the very few people with her own nickname for me. She's currently in Toledo, working a job as well as helping to set up a church with friends. She's a bubbly, spunky kid and it is always a pleasure to talk with her and hear how her life is progressing. She has managed to create relationships with people that I really appreciate and hope to someday replicate in my own life.
Who will I meet up with next????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home