SOHAppenings

A little taste of my experiences over the next year or so. This blog will take place mostly in SOHA (South of Harlem) where I will be living and attending Columbia grad school. This year will be a time of changes; my sister getting married, my parents move from Highland Park to Cleveland, suddenly my friends are going through adult transitions, and my own adjustment to the Big Apple as well as trying to figure out my life.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Culture: East meets Mid-West

The past week or so I feel my vacation slipping away and I'm getting a little tense for classes to start up. I've cleaned out my binders, considered returning my library books, and even done my laundry in anticipation. I've also participated in a few cultural activities:

OSU Football
Shira and Mike hosted a little party for the big OSU-Florida game. I got in the spirit by wearing an OSU shirt and developing a craving for Buckeyes. I also brought Michael for his first American football game. It was sort of an ethnography project: Americans cheer strangely and yell loudly at the television. Shira made lots of good food and she had a very nice friend there as well. She was also able to give Michael advice on PhDs and historical research, and who doesn't love that?

NYC Ballet
Debra invited me out for Sleeping Beauty at the New York City Ballet. I haven't done something formal and fun like that since London, so I really enjoyed it. The dancing wasn't exactly my thing, and once or twice it looked like Arora was going to fall, but it was very nice.

I would like to take this opportunity to give you all a little culture and introduce you to an extremely talented woman who was on my Israel program. Go to Raema Quam's myspace page to listen to her incredible songwriting and voice. Spread the word!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home